- 1kg beef or ostrich mince
- 6 rashers streaky bacon, finely chopped (optional but adds good flavor)
- 60g (1 cup) fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1 onion, grated
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 6 slices strong cheese (Emmentaler, gruyère or gorgonzola)
In a large mixing bowl, combine the mince, bacon, breadcrumbs, and onion. Season generously and mix well. Using wet hands, shape into 12 thin burger patties of the same size. Top 6 of the patties with a slice of cheese, to fit within the edges of the patty. Top with another patty and press the edges together to seal. Set aside.
- 150g fresh blueberries
- 60ml (4 tbsp) sugar
- 125ml (½ cup) water
- 125ml (½ cup) red wine
- 10ml (2 tsp) cornflour (if needed)
For the sauce, combine the blueberries, sugar, and 30ml (2 tbsp) of the water in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir until the sugar has dissolved. Add the remaining water and the wine and cook until the berries are pulpy and the sauce reduced. If the sauce needs thickening, dissolve the cornflour in 30ml (2 tbsp) water and stir in over low heat. If the sauce is too tart, stir in 15ml (1 tbsp) honey. Set aside to keep warm. Braai or grill the patties for about 6-8 minutes on each side, turning very carefully so that the patties do not split. Serve the patties on rolls, topped with sauce.
- Serves 6